Sunderland is a partner city in the Centre for Cities research programme ‘Unlocking City Potential and Sustaining City Growth’. The programme works closely with a small group of cities to inform economic development strategies and improve economic performance. This report sets out policy analysis and recommendations in response to two principal questions
- How can Sunderland build on a decade of achievement to attain long-term sustainable growth?
- What should be the main priorities in formulating an appropriate economic development strategy?
- The phased regeneration of the city centre must be pursued for Sunderland’s economy to return to its recent growth trajectory.
- The Working Neighbourhoods Strategy should be pursued along with the introduction of an integrated bus network to bind Sunderland into the wider city region economy.
- Policy and financial resources should be invested to create the infrastructure for a local enterprise and innovation network.