Sheffield’s Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP), which contains the core of
the University of Sheffield Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC),
is helping transform Sheffield City Region’s economy from a place for low-cost
production to a place for high-value knowledge production.
The AMRC is a research institution based on the AMP that links researchers
and academics with firms in the advanced manufacturing sector around the UK
and the rest of the world. Large multinationals such as Boeing, BAE Systems,
McLaren, as well as smaller supply chain firms, have operations on the site or tap into
the research that takes place there.
The National Government should:
• Encourage other advanced manufacturing parks to replicate
the AMRC’s university partnership and open-source research
• Expand the AMP and other advanced manufacturing estates in
response to demand.
• Devolve the Adult Education Budget to metro mayors.
• Increase the intensity and application of R&D.
Local Government should:
• Support the knowledge economy and exporting jobs as a whole,
rather than one specific sector.
• Enable diffusion of innovation.