About this role
The Centre for Cities is the country’s leading independent, non-partisan research and policy institute committed to improving the economic performance of Britain’s cities. The Centre produces practical research and policy advice for city leaders, national Government and businesses. The Centre’s press and media activities are a crucial way of ensuring our work in widely read by decision-makers and opinion-formers. We are looking for a talented Head of Press and Media to lead this aspect of the Centre’s work.
The successful applicant will lead the Centre’s engagement with the press and media. This will involve leading on the press strategy for reports and campaigns, the development of media messaging and press releases in support of research, bringing senior and junior colleagues on board with your recommendations and cultivating existing and target press contacts. The successful applicant will also be required to provide some support to the team across other external affairs functions including events, stakeholder management and public affairs as needed.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate a track record of delivering quality press coverage in a relevant policy area. There will be opportunities to make a real contribution to the Centre’s impact on policy and practice. We’re looking for someone who is happy to muck-in and multitask, and who’ll make the most of the opportunities the Centre for Cities can offer.
- Generate press coverage for the Centre’s work in the national, specialist, regional and online media.
- Play a key role in writing, editing and commenting on the Centre’s range of materials from research publications, web content and corporate materials.
- Devise and maintain a strategy to position opinion pieces, articles and commentary from the Centre for Cities in the mainstream press.
- Edit and curate the Centre’s blog.
- Advise the research team and senior management team on press and media angles and issues.
- Develop and build relationships with key reporters and media contacts to raise the Centre’s overall profile.
- Manage the Centre’s relationships with its external communications suppliers (including its media database and clippings agency).
- Work with the Digital & Publication Officer to ensure the Centre has a good online and social and digital media presence.
- Evaluate the impact of the Centre’s media relations activities.
- Provide support across other External Affairs functions, including events, campaigns and public affairs, as required by the team.
- Line manage the Publications and Digital Officer
- Demonstrable experience of delivering press and media campaigns in a relevant policy area.
- Ability to make complex policy recommendations relevant and newsworthy.
- Ability to take the lead on project managing press and media strategies.
- Experience of maintaining a strong network of media contacts.
- Strong team working skills and the ability to bring colleagues on board with a vision for a press campaign.
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good knowledge of IT, including Microsoft Office Products
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Experience of delivering events in a relevant policy area would also be beneficial.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please download an application form and send to email@example.com or to HR, Centre for Cities, 9 Holyrood Street, 2nd Floor London SE1 2EL
The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 30 September. The shortlisted applicants will need to be available for interview on w/c 8 October. Please note that we do not accept CV’s.